Student Demographic Report
You may register your child as a student in the Wausau School District any time within the school year. Simply call the secretary at the elementary school in your attendance area or the guidance office at the middle schools, high schools, or charter schools to make an appointment. If you have relocated and are unsure of which elementary school serves your residential area, contact the Office of Student Accounting at 715-261-0512. Parents of elementary students seeking to enroll students during July and early August should contact the Longfellow Administration Center at 715-261-0500 for information on summer registration dates and times.
• Students seeking to enroll in the Wausau School District must reside within our established District boundaries or be participants in the state of Wisconsin’s Open Enrollment program for inter-district enrollment. Specific Open Enrollment dates are set each year by the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction.
• Students must be four years old by September 1st to enroll in the District’s 4K learning academies located at Hawthorn Hills, G.D. Jones, Thomas Jefferson, and Riverview elementary schools as well as the four-year-old collaborative community program. For enrollment information contact the 4K & Early Childhood Programs office located at G.D. Jones Elementary School at 715-261-0265.
• Students must be five years old by September 1st to enroll in kindergarten. Parents must provide proof of birth for registration of kindergarten students.
• Parents or legal guardians must register their child and bring appropriate immunization records or provide them within 30 days.
• Parents are asked to sign a release of records form including health records in advance of registration, if possible, to allow our School District to receive records from the previous school at registration.
• Students with special education needs will have their existing Individual Educational Plan (IEP) implemented so there is no interruption in services. This IEP will be implemented as closely as possible until the Wausau School District either adopts the sending district’s IEP or develops its own IEP. The appropriate paperwork needs to be sent to the Director of Special Education. Special education students transferring from out-of-state will be treated in the same manner as students who transfer within Wisconsin. Students will be placed in the least restrictive learning environment and the Director of Special Education will make the final decision on placement of children having an IEP.
Falsification of address or information regarding family relationship for the purpose of unlawful registration could result in required tuition payments or immediate withdrawal from school.
Proof of residency, identification, and age of the student may be required upon request.
In instances of custody or guardianship, legal proof of such appointment will be required to be on file as part of the registration process.
The principal (or his/her designee) in conjunction with Central Office Administration will make the final decision in the event a registration question arises.
Wisconsin state law requires student attendance until the student’s 18th birthday.
Students under expulsion orders from other school districts will not be enrolled in the Wausau School District.